Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 05:53:48 -0700
From:      "D.M.P." <gryph@mindless.com>
To:        Michael Rothenberg <rothenberg@automationonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Confusion of terms [Was: Re: Disks...?]

Michael Rothenberg wrote:

> I was reading in the complete free bsd about how fbsd organises a disk. I
> got confused. All I want is a dedicated fbsd pc with one physical drive. On
> that drive it seems that it will be divided up into 4 slices(which come
> after the MBR and partition table)? Cant I just have 1 slice be the whole
> drive? So my root, swap, and /usr will be on the same big slice.
>
> Or do these slices become transparent to all? Or is it required that I have
> a different slice for each..??
>
> I didnt bring the book to work or I would list page nums };)

You have to be careful with the terminology.  There's slices and there
is partitions.  What FreeBSD calls a slice, Windows and DOS call a
partition.  /, /usr, and /var are all partitions, usually within
the same slice.  So normally, you'd give FreeBSD one slice, then
partition it into swap, /, /usr, and so on.

I'll use a DOS/Window analogy:

In DOS fdisk, you can make a "DOS Extended Parition".  This partition
would be called a slice in FreeBSD parlance.  Within that DOS Extended
Partition, you have to make "Logical DOS Drives" so DOS/Windows can
use the space.  In FreeBSD, these Logical DOS Drives would be called
partitions, and like with DOS, FreeBSD has to have partitions within
the slice to use that space.

You could look at the first Logical DOS Drive as FreeBSD's /
partition, the second as the /usr partition, the third as the swap
partition, and so on.

With this in mind:  To make a dedicated FreeBSD computer, use fdisk
to make a single slice that takes up the entire disk, then use
disklabel to make the /, swap, and other partitions within that slice.

--
"Nothing is more noble, nothing more venerable than fidelity.  Truth
and faithfulness are the most sacred excellences and endowments of