Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:18:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org

I understand that some folks here in -newbies come from a Microsoft-
oriented environment, and that there is, upon occasion, an "attitude"
expressed by those of us who identify more with UNIX environments, in
which the Microsoft-oriented environments are viewed as inferior, at
least for some purposes.

Although the below sample may merely be a result of an unfortunate
misconfiguration -- which it's certainly possible to accomplish with
nearly any type of system, and exceedingly easy to do with a UNIX
system -- it is Yet Another in a series of such things that I have
encountered over the years.

And I believe that it illustrates something that I find rather
exasperating.

I should point out a little about perspective, here:  I (still) consider
email to be important -- probably the single most important user-visible
application that uses the Net.  (I still have a bit of a hard time
believing that this Web stuff will ever be more than a "flash in the
pan".)  Yeah, I'm *that* old.  :-)

And an important aspect of email is the ability to have and use mailing
lists, such as freebsd-newbies.  Indeed, back when I ran a (free)
public-access UNIX system from home, whose only connection to the
outside world was via a couple of dial-up lines for direct login or
UUCP, I wanted to run a mailing list.  And for a while, I merely used
the "aliases" file, but that became unwieldy.  So I prowled around, and
found some hints and suggestions about how such things ought to behave;
then Karl Kleinpaste (then at Ohio State University) provided some
sample code (which I butchered to unrecognizability), and I hd a crude
but servicable mailing list.  (I doubt that many here would have been
involved in the topic; it was relating to the joys and issues involved
in writing code in C on the IBM s/370-architecture mainframes; I had
been working as an MVS systems programmer for a few years by that time.)

Nowadays I tend to use majordomo... but the point is that I happen to
have a fairly long, in-depth association with email and mailing lists.

And I learned quite some time ago that there are some things that Just
Are Not Done (at least, in polite company).  For example:

* Sending administrivia matters to the list.

* Blindly setting up bidirectional news<->mailing list gateways.

* Failing to have a working "postmaster" mailbox at any site that sends
  mail.

* Sending bounce-o-grams to the list.

* Sending bounce-o-grams to the message originator, instead of the list
  maintainer.

What follows is a fairly classic example of that last faux pas, with the
added distinction(?) that the individual mailbox that catalyzed the
problem has been sufficiently obscured that identifying the individual
address could be moderately challenging:  were I maintaining the list in
question (freebsd-newbies, as it happens), it might be necessary to drop
all addresses at the entire site.  (Granted, there may only be one, or
there may be a small enough number that the correspondence between RFC
822-style addresses and whatever format these folks use can be
determined... but running a mailing list is, at best, a thankless job.
Making it harder is Not Good.)

In fairness, I haven't tried sending a note to postmaster@cwhkt.com, but
I have often found that sites that create such messes often fail to have
a responsive postmaster.  (Sometimes they have a mailbox for that function,
but choose to name it something whimsical, such as "admin" or "mailman",
rather than the RFC 822-mandated "postmaster".  Since few of us possess
clairvoyance, this is of little use to a mailing list administrator, or
anyone else trying to reach someone at the site in question.)

So if anyone is still reading, this is an example of something that is
fairly annoying (to me):  I had sent a response to freebsd-newbies, and
one of the addresses on -newbies apparently gets converted at some
gateway to "CWCWAREG/IDDMMM01/INDARTO", but the RFC 822 version of that
"address" (if that's what that construct really is) isn't elucidated.
And the bounce-o-gram was sent to me, as message originator, as opposed
to the mailing list maintainer (whose address would show up on the
"envelope-from").

>From IMCEAMS-CWCWAREG_IDDMMM01_POSTMASTER@cwhkt.com Thu Sep  9 05:06:37 1999
>[internal Received: headers elided -- dhw]
>From: CWCWAREG/IDDMMM01/POSTMASTER
>	 <IMCEAMS-CWCWAREG_IDDMMM01_POSTMASTER@cwhkt.com>
>To: David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
>Subject: Mail failure
>Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:48:00 +0800
>

>[002] Mail was received that was addressed to unknown addresses.
>Mail item was not delivered to:
>  CWCWAREG/IDDMMM01/INDARTO

>--
>Microsoft Mail v3.0 (MAPI 1.0 Transport) IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note
>From: David Wolfskill
>To:  freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
>     osc20@yahoo.com
>Subject:  Re: difference between freebsd & linux
>Date: 1999-09-08 22:32
>Message ID: DA5B0223DC65D3119DDF00A0C9E1E018
>

>[body of my message to -newbies elided; you've probably already seen
> it. -- dhw]

Mind you, this kind of behavior isn't confined to Microsoft -- I also
have seen it (and variations on the theme) in cc:Mail, Lotus, VMS, and
LISTSERVs.  (Speaking of the latter, I get so many brain-dead whines
from the LISTSERV at ZDEMAIL.COM about nonexistent mailboxes -- and no
response to my messages back to postmaster -- that I can't help but
wonder how they function.  Oh, well.)

But rarely do I find a UNIX site doing this.  Of course, with the
growing popularity of UNIX[-like] OSs on commodity hardware, this could
change....  :-(

Hope someone found some of this interesting,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915