Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 1995 14:17:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

Eric L. Hernes writes:

> > > 3. I'd like to see a few more things on the standard installation.
> > >    Linux "everything" really does install everything; FreeBSD
> > >    "everything" misses out things which I consider essential, such as
> > >    bash, less and emacs.
> >
> > The problem is that all 3 packages you name aren't distributions at
> > all, they're packages.  If you're saying that I should make up some
> > "fake distributions" that do nothing more than try to add packages, I
> > guess that's possible.  What do the others think?
>
> That'd be a good idea, sort of a meta-package (I think that I saw
> a reference to that a while back too).

Well, I don't really care if you call them distributions or packages
(note that I didn't use the word distribution.  For me, they're all
packages), but the idea of meta-packages sounds good, if we're talking
about the same thing.  I'm thinking of the possibility of either
individual products (less, for example, not exactly the biggest
program on the CD), or a set of products (like XFree86) which can also
be installed individually.

To do this right takes a lot of thought.  I don't know if anybody has
the time right now.  My original thought was just to include
everything we have when we offer everything.  BTW, the sizes on the
setup menu don't have much to do with reality.  I recall that the
"minimal" version was supposed to be about 15 MB, when in fact it's
more like 35.  At the other end, "everything" is supposed to be 700,
when in fact it's only about 250.  Could it be that "everything" isn't
working as intended?

Greg