Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:32:48 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Bradford Castalia <Castalia@azstarnet.com>
Cc:        Darren Shepard <dss@orst.edu>, Alessandro de Manzano <demanzano@iol.it>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matrox G450 and X 4.0.2 = blank ?

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 04:49:37PM -0700, Bradford Castalia wrote:
> Yesterday I tried the 1_01_05_beta mga driver distribution from Matrox
> on FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE with XFree86-4.0.2 and a G400 32MB dual head AGP
> card. I was disappointed with the results. Reverting to the 1_00_04_beta
> distribution restored clean operation.
>
> Getting the XF86Config file right can be a bit daunting. I've been
> struggling to find the optimal configuration to wring the most
> display area out of the G400. By playing with xvidtune and tweaking
> a ModeLine for the Monitor section I've been able to realize 1152x860
> at 24bpp. The Samsung 750p monitors I'm using can easily handle much
> higher resolution, and I'm sure the G400 can provide at least 1280x1024
> for both screens

The damn G400 is limited to 1280x1024 on the second output, though
the first output can go much higher.

> (as demonstrated by the commercial Accelerated X
> multi-head server), but I haven't been able to discover the magic
> configuration to accomplish this. I'll provide a copy of my XF86Config,
> on request, if that might be of some help.

Because of the above limitation I've thrown the G400 into a corner where
I hope it will feel appropriately unloved, and went back to a Matrox
Millenium II PCI and MM II AGP for my two screens (1600x1200 each).

I mention this because I don't remember the details, but the syntax
of XF86Config for configuring dual-head operation with the standard
XF86 mga driver is different from the Matrox mga driver.  Using the
Matrox mga driver (as you must with the G400), there is a `Screen'
attribute for the "device" section.  I know this is vague, but I can't
remember exactly.  Just keep fiddling, I was able to get it working.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org