Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 14:38:47 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Kaila <kaila@o-o.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is csh tcsh? This can be a bad thing...

> > It still is.  And recognising that csh has evolved over the last decade
> > is part of "doing it right".
>
> No, doing it right would have been including tcsh and deprecating csh, then
> dropping it later as has been done with other things.

This is what was done.  The old csh is deprecated, but still available.

> Naming linking it to csh broke things for people who weren't informed it was
> happeneing, and then had to go and spend hours tracking down the problem and
> fixing it.

This is what happens when software is upgraded.  It's what they call the
"price of progress".  Most people don't seem to mind it until it impacts
them personally, and then they tend to overreact.

> > What you're really saying is "you didn't do what *I* think is right, and
> > I'm packing up my toys and going home".
>
> No, what I am saying is I am a long time user who is getting fed up with THIS
> type of comment and attitude, and that I might as well go find an alternative
> that "Does it right" instead of continuing to put up with having this sort of
> commentary lobbed at people who dare to voice their opinions.

Opinions were voiced.  A decision was made, based on those opinions.

Anytime there's more than one opinion, there are going to be "losers" when
the decision is made.  The key to surviving is to accept the decision and
move on, not make it out to be some grand injustice and then use it to
somehow enhance the validity of your argument.

> > That's your perogative, but it's hardly the mature stance to be taking.
>
> Read over your response.  What did it have to do with my issues?

What issues?  You haven't raised anything concrete that hasn't already
been addressed in this thread.

> Nothing.  It was a defensive reaction, resorting to name calling because
> you had nothing logical to refute with.  Do you call THIS mature?

I'm attempting to explain to you how to survive in this situation.  The
lesson is free, but like most advice, if you abuse the giver, they're
prone to walk away and leave you be.