Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 02:00:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Introductory Book on FreeBSD

I am just about finished with a first draft of this book,
tentatively entitled FreeBSD: A Professional Operating System
for Your PC.  Then with a round of revisions, it should be
ready to go to press.

The Introduction and first 12 chapters are on my anon ftp
site in pdf format (i.e., readable with Acrobat Reader).

ftp andrsn.stanford.edu
cd /pub/introbook

I've asked for comments on freebsd-newbies (for the new user
point of view) and from freebsd-doc.  I would be grateful for
any general comments and especially "technical review" comments,
so if there are any chapters of interest do download them.

It's organized as follows:

Introduction: The book as a whole

Chapter 1: FreeBSD and UNIX

Chapters 2-4: Installing.
	Getting ready to install (including getting info from
	Windows on hardware, as it's Windows I assume most
	readers will be running); installing; post-install
	configuration.  Lots of screen shots of the installation
	process.

Chapters 5-8:

	These chapters are introductory hands-on finding
	out about UNIX and FreeBSD--some of the stuff
	covered in my newuser tutorial in greater detail;
	looking around, getting around, finding out what's
	happening; also installing and setting up the bash
	shell, and editing files (ee, pico, but mainly vi).

Chapters 9-11:

	Packages, ports, and software (run-down on applications
	from the various categories).  An earlier draft of
	the latter has been on my ftp site for a while, but has
	been removed.  The highlighted applications are those of
	interest to new users rather than professionals running
	major installations, but some of these are mentioned also.
	Including figlet.

Chapters 12-15:

	What I consider the "big four" that just about everyone
	wants to get working--connecting to the Internet (and
	using FreeBSD as a gateway), sound, X-Window, and printing.

Chapters 16-17:

	Building a kernel and upgrading with cvsup (ports and
	the system).

Chapters 18-21:

	Other resources; other tasks (getting out of trouble);
	miscellaneous.

Appendix: Hardware

Although the assumption is that most readers are using Windows,
there are some notes for linux users trying FreeBSD.

If anyone wants it in a different format I'll try to figure out
what I can do.

		Annelise