Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 00:21:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      cau@cc.gatech.edu (Carlos Ugarte)
To:        mc7953@mclink.it (Marco Masotti)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, mc7953@mclink.it
Subject:   Re: Asus PVI486SP3 and Adaptec 2940 compatibility

> I have problems in getting an Asus PVI486SP3 working with a 2940
> controller. The Ide on board controller has been disabled, the video
> card is CL 5430, ram is 16 Mb, disk is IBM 1.080 Gbyte, CD drive Sun (2X
> standard).

I have the same motherboard, and an Adaptec 1542CF.  There is a
problem with this board and DMA busmaster devices, which I think
the 2940 is (the 1542CF is a busmaster).  The problem is not
always there; apparently it only shows up if the CPU uses L1
write-back cache.  Usually, though, the problem is graver
than the one you have stated (ie won't boot, corrupts data on
hard drive, random crashes, etc.), so this may not be your
problem.

Carlos

--
Carlos A. Ugarte                                cau@cc.gatech.edu
Author of PageMage, a virtual desktop util for OS/2