Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-spam in hub.mc

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> This is actually required, unconditionally, even if you are blocking
> other mail from that site.

What was that RFC number?  I do have a postmater mailbox and
it is usable by 99.9995% of the Internet.  (rough estimate)
I see nothing in in RFC1123 that says I MUST accept mail to
postmaster from every host on the Net, just that my MTA MUST
support the postmaster mailbox, which it does, filters and all.

Requiring postmaster to go through would also rule out check_mail
filters which are certainly allowed by the RFCs.  (quoting
RFC821) "*if accepted*, the receiver-SMTP returns a 250 OK reply."
Emphasis mine.

RFC lawyering aside, care to share the IOS filter that checks
for recipient if the packet is for port 25 but from a blocked
source address?

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com