Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:09:09 +0100
From:      Gustaf Sjoberg <gs@vacfu.org>
To:        "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        deepbsd@earthlink.net, jud@myrealbox.com, ryans@gamersimpact.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Window/File Manager

Hi,
pwm runs like a charm on my toshiba tecra 750CDT and is the original tabbed windowmanager (propaganda) ;-)

qoute from http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/pwm/:

"PWM is a rather lightweight window manager for X11. It has the unique feature that multiple client windows can be attached to the same frame. This feature helps keeping windows, especially the numerous xterms, organized. A look at the screenshots below might clarify the idea.

Being a lightweight window manager with emphasis on usability, PWM does not have all the features that one might expect from a window manager. Those features are simply unnecessary. PWM does not provide pixmapped themes or other bloated eye candies but has a clean and simple look inspired by BeOS and Motif. There are no icons and frames cannot be iconified, only "shaded". Only One True (pointer) focus mode is supported: sloppy. PWM does not even have titlebar buttons and may not be the easiest window manager to get into, most Good Things are not.

PWM does have workspaces, menus and Window Maker dockapp support. It has pretty good keyboard support and almost all the functionality is configurable."

my own screenshots of pwm can be found at www.vacfu.org/?view=pwm

as previously stated, the shell is the most powerful FM. if you still insist on running a FM on low resources it might be worth to giv XFCE a shot (www.xfce.org), it is a very slim desktop environment.

good luck,
Gustaf Sjoberg

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:53:32 -0600 (CST)
"Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org> wrote:

>David S. Jackson said:

Gustaf Sjoberg <gs@vacfu.org>