Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:31:32 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, nate@mt.sri.com, gclarkii@main.gbdata.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Who needs Perl? We do!

Nate Williams stands accused of saying:

> > This devolves to "nothing belongs in the source tree".  If you accept
> > any other argument, then we are talking about what level of
> > service/redundancy (depending on perspective) is appropriate.
>
> Everything in the tree has a purpose.  I can't do *anything* with TCL,
> and nothing in the tree uses TCL.  I need the compiler to rebuild
> myself, but I don't need TCL for *anything* (w/regards to the system).

*You* may not be able to do anything with Tcl, but *I* can.  *I*
can't do anythying with Perl, but *other* people can.  Nobody uses
the entire feature set of the system; that is a given.

> TCL alone doesn't provide anything, while ls does (it's part of the OS).

Tcl is actually used for BMaking stuff, as you may have noticed.
Jordan is bolting the new install together using it.  I'm working on
some configuration tools using it.

'ls' is only useful if you are a shell user, and need to see what
files are on the disk.  There are plenty of systems where 'ls' isn't
particularly useful at all.  Like I said, we're talking about a matter
of degree, not principle.

> No, that was a 'PLUS, I also hate it' kind of gripe.

Hmm, it was the only one I could see that wasn't purely philosophical.