From:      Walter Hafner <hafner@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI Parity errors

Hi.

Quick question:

When I use tosha to grab audiotracks I occasionally get the warning:

(pass1:ahc0:0:3:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
SEQADDR == 0x10f
SCSIRATE == 0xf

FreeBSD 3.2 STABLE (somewhere in August)

Hardware:

ASUS P2L97-S Mainboard
300 MHz Pentium II

ahc0: <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x01 int a irq 10 on pci0.6.0
ahc0: aic7880 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

<PLEXTOR CD-ROM PX-32TS 1.03>      at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass1,cd0)

This only happens with tosha. I never got any other SCSI
errors/warnings, despite the bus is pretty crowded.

I realise, that this is non critical. Still, i want to know, if this is
only a warning and the SCSI data is retransmitted or if the data is
transmitted incorrectly and I hear noise in the track on disk.

If there's a transmission error, what can I do?

Thanks,

-Walter