Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:03:45 -0500
From:      David <ddavid@ican.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86-4, QT-2.2.3_3 KDE-2.0.1 Compile

Hello All;

Thought i would post my setup here, seeing as there has been much
talk recently on this topic.

I'm running 4.2-Stable from Dec 30th, XFree86-4, QT-2.2.3_3 and KDE2.

XFree86-4:

With X, i have been playing around a bit, I actually cvsup'd the
lastest "STABLE" from XFree86.org yesturday, but this applies to what
is in the ports also, as thsi was my setup before cvs's XFree86, with
everything working just fine.

"cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4" && "make extract" cvsup XFree86-STABLE
directly into "work/xc" (if you cvsup before doing make, it will
delete everything first, then extract the X402src-2.tgz archives )
After the cvsup is finished, I ran "make" as per normal and all
patches, including the "thread patch" applied cleanly, and the
compile completed as expected with no errors.
 "pkg_delete -f XFree86-4.0.2_3" && "make install"

You can find instructions for cvsup' XFree86 here:
http://www.xfree86.org/cvs

This worked for me with yesturday's "XFree86-STABLE" but I have no
idea if future STABLE's will be as cooperative in the future do too
inevitable changes and fixes, but it is always  fun too try :)

QT-2.2.3_3:

Glad too see the patch for opengl now, in reference too Jeremy
Shaffner's post earlier, this was how I had built QT after a hint
from Jeremy, with QT and KDE finally compiling and running with no
problems.

So QT was compiled directly from ports, "pkg_delete -f QT-2.2.3_?"
and "make install" with no problems.

The same with all the KDE ports. (I compile them seperately following
the sequence in KDE2 Meta port Makefile, My preference, this way
after kdesupport and libs, you can compile as many sub-ports as your
machine can handle, I do 3 at a time, seems to get done faster)

1\ kdesupport- "pkg_delete -f kdesupport..." "make install"
2\ kdelibs        "pkg_delete -f kdelibs..."       "make install"
kdebase, kdegames, kdeutils, etc, etc

for the "sub kde ports" I also "pkg_delete -f" them in reverse order
as installed, they tend to delete more cleanly than doing them out of
order.

As for Glenn Johnson's inquiry as too anti-aliasing, the support
comes from QT, and is already supported in QT-2.2.3, I can attest
that KDE pick's it up just wanderfully :)

Mind you, you do have to set up X itself to properly use TT fonts, a
quick guide can be found here:
http://xfree86.org/~keithp/render
It contains info on rendering in X and also a link too setup TrueType
fonts.

So KDE is all setup again here and everythings working just peachy,
one issue though that i have noticed is in "top" it shows at present
35 kdeinit's loaded up, I dont know what's up with this, but KDE is
functioning just fine on this end. Maybe someone else can shed some
light on this?

Anyways, I dont think I have missed anything, but if I have feel free
to point them out. If more info is required you can email me directly
or the list, as I browse it everyday.

Cheers;

David