Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 06:16:08 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        Chynnee <chynnee@mindspring.com>, Brent Casavant <b.j.casavant@ieee.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: posix threads

John Utz wrote [heavily reformatted for clarity]:

| On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Chynnee wrote:
| > From: "Brent Casavant" <b.j.casavant@ieee.org>

| > > I am surprised that nobody has mentioned this one yet, but I found
| > > that "Pthreads Programming" by Nicols, Buttlar, and Farral (O'Reilly
| > > and Associates) was instrumental to learning Pthreads programming.
| > >
| > > Hope that helps,
| > > Brent Casavant
| >
| > noone mentioned it because the O'Reilly books go with out saying ;)
| >
| > brad
|
| yup, that book is full of Ass-Kickin' Goodness(tm)
|
| John L. Utz III

The first two versions of that O'Reilly book were riddled with
basic programming errors that made it next to useless.  Although
they did incorporate many of the fixes I offered them into the
second printing, they misunderstood the issues so badly that the
book was still a mess -- so I lost interest in getting it fixed.

If you really want to spend your time learning about pthreads
programming (something I don't recommend), look for better
sources of guidance.

BTW, this is not a topic for -stable so please respect the
redirection to -chat.  And please stop lazily putting comments
at the top of messages and then including every byte of the
original in your replies.  Remove junk and irrelevant material
and put your comments /after/ the quoted material they refer to.