Date:      Mon, 07 Jan 2002 09:19:56 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        "Allen May" <umayxa3@donet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Differences between FreeBSD and Mandrake

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 06:33:04 -0500  "Allen May" wrote:
 +------------------
 | I am used to using Mandrake 8.x. I just installed FreeBSD on a test =
 | machine and find it less intuitive to use.
 | Can someone explain the big difference between Mandrake and FreeBSD?
 |
 | In Mandrake, the current running DAEMON's are in the init.d directory.. =
 | were are they in FreeBSD? I don't have an /etc/init.d directory.
 |
 | I use "locate" a lot.. I could find "locate" on my FreeBSD machine.. =
 | what's the equivelent?
 |
 | Thanks for any info.
 +------------------

FreeBSD is derived from the BSD strain of unix that comes through
the CSRG at UofC at Berkeley.  Mandrake comes via the work that
Linus Torvolds does for the Linux kernel.  Both OSes make heavy
use of resources from the GNU project.

Locate should be running on your system.  The database is updated weekly
but you might run the /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb script if you want to
update the database now.

While packages and ports use a startup system that resembles the SVR4 style
FreeBSD itself uses an older style of boot time initialization centered
around the /etc/rc.conf and the /etc/rc script.  You can read about this
in the handbook. Chapter 7 talks about the boot process.

Good Luck

--
    Chris Fedde