Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:46:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLD naming

Mike Smith writes:
> > > When I first started writing KLD, I had a vague notion that there would be
> > > a simple directory structure under /modules, e.g.:
> > >
> > > 	/modules
> > > 			pci/
> > > 				ncr.ko
> > > 			isa/
> > > 				if_ed.ko
> >
> > I like this idea (subdirectories) better.. it will last longer :-)
>
> It's a really bad idea, because it requires you to classify things.  It
> also makes it much harder to administer.  In addition, classifications
> are bad (witness the need to reorganise the kernel source tree).
>
> > You should then be able to load a module "isa/if_ed.ko" etc
> > and have it work (no leading slash).
>
> And here is a good example.  Why would you want to put if_ed in the
> "ISA" category when it can be attached to both the PCI and ISA busses?

I don't care how you classify it.. of course the "isa" category is wrong.

I was just pointing out that having things in subdirectories
is better than having a zillion files piled into a single directory.

> are bad (witness the need to reorganise the kernel source tree).

Maybe I'm just an optimist.. but if we have already solved (through
various incarnations) how to classify the kernel source, then we can
pretty much inherit this same classification scheme for the modules.

After all, they are all *kernel* modules, right?

> A single directory holding module files.

Blech :-)

-Archie