Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 96 10:34:10 EST
From:      jsharris@cat.syr.edu (J. Stuart Harris)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   cdrom

I just got FreeBSD 2.0.5 on a Walnut Creek CDROM.  I have had lots of problems
using the CDROM drive (SCSI 4x cdrom, Toshiba via an Adaptec 2940W controller)
If the cd is mounted during boot, and ls of /cdrom hangs the computer.  I got
around this by commenting out the fstab entry and manually mounting it using
/sbin/mount_cd9660 -r -o rdonly /dev/cd0a /cdrom.  There are still problems,
however.  If I cd to /cdrom and 'more' a file, the system hangs.  If I 'lndir'
and then 'ls' a directory 'ls utils/*', the computer hangs.  I'm a computer
engineer (finishing dissertation), and although I don't know all the in's and
out's of Unix or the PC's, I do have a reasonable background.  I have also
done device driver programming, etc.  If there is a fix, I would be interested
in it.  If there is work that needs to be done to fix it, I would be willing
to help.

Second, I have an Intel Etherexpress PRO 100.  It appears that there is no driver
for it in FreeBSD.  If there is and I missed it, please let me know.  Otherwise,
if there is additional info you have available and I could help write the
driver for it, I would be willing to work on that as well.

Thanks,
Stuart Harris