Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:23:10 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Native phoenix, konqueror slow in resolving some hostnames

I find that two native graphical browsers on my system, phoenix
and konqueror, both have problems on some sites -- specifically,
sites which reference ad.*.doubleclick.net (I'm not sure whether all
such sites are affected).

Examples -- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/opinion (the main
page seems to work better); http://www.independent.co.uk;
http://www.theregister.co.uk (behaviour erratic).  These are three
sites where I have fairly consistent problems; offhand I can't
think of others.

While it's trying to resolve ad.doubleclick.net, phoenix is unable to
resolve anything else, even sites it can normally resolve immediately.
Konqueror has no such problem -- it can resolve something else while
waiting on ad.doubleclick.net.

In all these cases, with both these browsers, everything comes through
after a long gap.  Typing nslookup ad.doubleclick.net (or whatever
address it's stuck at) on the command line gives me the address
immediately, but doesn't affect the browser in any way.  Running a dns
cache locally (djbdns) doesn't help either.  Lynx works fine on all
sites, presumably because it doesn't follow those doubleclick.net
links.  Linux-mozilla also works fine, perhaps because it uses the
glibc resolver?

Anyway, this is annoying because I like the native browsers better.
What can I do to debug this?

- Rahul