Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:01:42 -0700
From:      "Michael D. Harlan" <r3mdh@rworld.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslog - distribution of logs

I have successfully gotten 1 machine (barney) to store a local copy of his
syslog messages as well as to send them off to another machine (andy) for
an off-site copy:

--------        ------
|barney|        |andy|
--------        ------
  |        _______   |
  v       |       v  v
--------- |     ---------
|syslogd| |     |syslogd|
--------- |     ---------
  |   |___|       |  |
  v               v  v
 --------        --------
/ local /       / local /
--------        --------

I'd like to get andy's syslog records also sent to vm.  However, this will
result in an infinite loop situation with the 2 machines passing messages
back and forth to each other in a vain attempt to determine who "keeps"
the message in the end):

--------          ------
|barney|          |andy|
--------          ------
  |    ____    _____   |
  v   v    |  /     v  v
---------  --/--  ---------
|syslogd|   /  |  |syslogd|
---------   |  |  ---------
  |   |_____|  |    |  |
  v            ------  v
 --------          --------
/ local /         / local /
--------          --------

Is there any way native to syslogd to differentiate between machines
logging messages?  Meaning, can syslogd tell the difference between
messages coming from "barney" and messages coming from "andy" so that
barney's syslogd won't pass messages from andy *back to* andy and and
andy's syslogd won't pass barney's messages *back to* barney?

Obviously, I could write a perl script to pipe the messages to, but that
could get hairy as far as being able to determine which log to append to,
etc. (stuff that syslogd does by default).

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Please CC: me as I am temporarily off of
this mailing list as I work on my overloaded mailboxes.  :)

Thanks!,
Mike Harlan

--
Mike Harlan			(r3mdh@rworld.org)