Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 1999 11:42:21 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to start to be a hacker?

Phil Regnauld wrote:

>         I agree with G. Adam's cautiousness -- when I first moved
>         to the US in 1983, the teacher (this was 4th grade :-) introduced
>         me to the class, and asked if anybody wanted to point out
>         France (where I'm from) on the globe.
>
>         A kid volunteered, and put his finger on Russia.
>
>         That _was_ before they asked me if we had electricity
>         and refrigerators "over there".

This somehow makes me feel better ;-); I was asked exactly the same
thing about South America when I first visited the US. Some woman even
said she had visited Colombia "over there in South Africa".

On the topic of repression, my University is known for having started
all the local "revolutionary movements". It was the only free-thought
University, it had almost no cost and the police still can't go inside
without a special (presidential) permit. We had some brilliant-crazy
people, one of them, with an incredible memory, decided to number all
the students in the University and called everyone by his number, there
was also a guy that square roots and logarithms faster than any computer
(this was certified). I didn't live those days in all their fervor, I
was born in 1968, but my brother and all my teachers did. My brother
even spent one night in jail for no good reason.

Many people simply disappeared, some became part of the communist
guerrilla and some became members of the government; it was indeed a
very difficult time in all the world, nevertheless most people liked it.

Some people are surprised that I never used a slideruler, and I never
programmed with cards; nowadays I can't conceive that youngsters have
never seen a metalic lunchbox or that they didn't learn to do many math
operations with pencil and paper (I am actually happy that they never
heard the Bee Gees, Roberta Flack, and Menudo :-).
The world is moving faster and faster each day, I guess this is not good
or bad, it's simply different, but I do miss those days when jobs and,
in general, all forms of relationship were stable.

cheers,
	Pedro.