Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:24:36 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon), imp@village.org (Warner Losh), avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed), security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

At 11:14 PM 1/21/2000 , Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>(Your (a) above is invalid data between the ip layer and tcp, handled at
>either output from ip or as input to tcp in the upwards stack direction,
>and (c) is output from tcp to ip in the downward stack direction.)

Actually, it's invalid data in a LOT of cases. I think that the check
should be pushed downward and that the packet source address should
be flagged as multicast in the mbuf flags. This could eliminate
quite a few tests. Try the command

grep IN_MULTICAST /sys/netinet/* | more

and you'll see what I mean. (Not all of the tests would be subsumed
by this, but many would. There's also a check in /sys/net/if_ethersubr.c.)

--Brett