Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 02:33:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Jim <jameso@elwood.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a desktop

On Sun, 30 May 1999, Jim wrote:

> This weekend I install FreeBSD at home. Up untill this point I sweared by
> its use as a server platform, I have had great luck with it as a server.
> but this weekend has been a new experience for me. I got X-win up and going
> for the first time, compiled in sound support, and got it working as a natd
> for my home network. Problem is, I cant find much info with running Unix as
> a desktop OS.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions on good books about running Unix as a desktop
> (things like X tweaking, getting a movie player, etc), I would love to hear
> them. Thanks.

You didn't say how experianced you are with unix...

I suggest next time you are at a bookstore look for "Unix Secrets"
and thumb through it.  It may be what you are looking for.

It doesn't cover the "modern" apps (GNOME,KDE,etc) but It has
"stupid X tricks" amongst other fun things you can do.

as far as applications, I would suggest looking into /usr/ports,
many nifty things are lying there waiting:

movie player: /usr/ports/graphics/xanim/
full desktop like system: /usr/ports/x11/kde11

just look around, do a search on:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html

enjoy,
-Alfred