Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:18:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>
To:        Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dropped connections (fwd)

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Max Khon wrote:

> hi, there!
>
> after upgrade to 3.2-STABLE from 2.2.8-STABLE we are experiencing problems
> with closed telnet sessions. If a user drops connection (closes telnet
> on his workstation without logging off) pdmenu, midnight commander and
> other programs eat up all the CPU (99% CPU usage as reported by top)
> Is there anything that changed between 2.x and 3.x and can cause
> this affect? Is there any workaround? Please reply directly as I am not
> subscribed
>
> /fjoe

That happens to me when I have some user interface that is
reading user input from stdin. The user nukes his telnet
session ungracefully and whatever is reading from stdin then
gets fed info something like "not a tty" or some other message
it does not consider valid input. It falls into a loop
to process the input, can't make sense of it, so loops back for
more user input, and gets the same message  -- it repeats
ad infinitum and is a bummer.

-

Barrett