Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:04:04 +0800 (Taipei Standard Time)
From:      "Maren S. Leizaola" <maren@leizaola.com>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Rod Person <roddierod@yahoo.com>
Subject:   RE: SQUEEEZING the most bandwidth out of a 33.6 modem

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:

| The connection speed using a 56k enabled modem is a function of
| phone line conditions and speed of PC (cpu mhz & bus mhz).
| That being said, many people watch what the connection speed is
| for each time they dial into their ISP. Because of line conditions
| you do not connect at the same connection rate all the time.
| You will get a spread of connection rates like 48000, 49666, 50660,
| 52000, most users will just hangup the call and dial again until
| they get the rate they want. This can be automated at the modem
| hardware level. Lets say you have been watching and 60% of the time
| you connect at 49666 or better, but the rest of the time you
| hangup and dial again. Well you can use the hays AT commands to tell
| the modem hardware not accept any connection speeds less that 49666

Question? Shouldn't V.90 modems be able to negotiate a speed fall forward
if the link quality is there? Or did they forget to put that in the
standard?

If the answer is yes does forcing the modem 52K have much of a point? Also
is there much point of pursuing 52K handshake as the modem will fall
backward as required on speed and even if you got a 52K will go down to
49.6 or less and I doubt you will be able to query the modem speed.

Is there any way of during a coonection disable PPP, kick the modem into
command mode and find it what rate the connection is at?

Maren.