Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:44:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Tim Erlin <tperlin@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw  -- fwd, divert, natd -redirect_port?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Tim Erlin wrote:

> I currently have 4.3-STABLE running NAT on my DSL(static ip). I'd like
> to put a webserver (or any other service) behind it and map the
> incoming port appropriately. I see three choices with ipfw and I'm not
> sure what the differences are.

> How does fwd differ from divert differ from running natd with
> -redirect_port?

	ipfw fwd does not change the src/dst within the packet header...it
	just forwards the packet.  redirect_port will actually change the
	contents of the header, usually to send to an "inside" address.

	So, if you don't want change any IP addresses in the packet, then
	fwd is the way to go.  Like for squid or some other proxy server
	apps.

	But, you have DSL with one static IP which means you will be doing
	natd redirect_port.  See, a packet comes into your machine from
	the outside world with source and destination like so:

	Source (Internet)	Destination (Your Machine)
	23.24.25.1		208.33.22.1

	But you want to send that request to an internal machine behind
	208.33.22.1, say 192.168.10.1.  So the redirect_port statement
	should be used because you need to change the destination of the
	above packet from 208.33.22.1 to 192.168.10.1.  The same thing
	happens on the return to the internet from 192.168.10.1.

	fwd would simply forward the packet to 192.168.10.1, but keeping
	the header intact with the above listed source/dest. (Note: fwd
	only works on outbound traffic)

	Hope this helps.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...