Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 2009 00:38:03 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Arkady Tokaev <tokaev@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Unknown devices

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 23:04:51 +0400, Arkady Tokaev <tokaev@hotmail.com> wrote:

> While I was trying to update ports I have received message
> about absence disk space.It's impossible, I thought.But df
> command said:

> $ df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a     23G    3.5G     18G    16%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/md0       9.4M    2.8M    6.5M    30%    /etc
> /dev/md1        31M     16M     13M    55%    /usr/local/etc
> /dev/md2        19M     18K     19M     0%    /root
> /dev/md3        31M    6.1M     24M    20%    /var
> $
> What is the md devices?How I can remove them?

See "man md": The md devices refer to memory disks, RAM that
"emulates" a hard disk.

Sadly, I don't recognize a reason why your /etc, /usr/local/etc,
/root and /var subtrees are mounted onto memory disks... seems
that you're not running a default install, do you?

Regarding your initial problem - updating ports - this involves
writing operations in the ports directory (usually /usr/ports
which may be a subtree of /dev/ad0s1a on / in your setting) as
well as in /var, especially /var/db/pkg, the installed packages
database, and /var/ports. When /var is a memory disk with 30 MB,
it may be too small for such a process. Furthermore, if I see this
correctly, you're loosing the content of the package database
on reboot; is this intended?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany