Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 12:50:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      igor@alecto.physics.uiuc.edu (Igor Roshchin)
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Default partitioning

Mentioning the new release reminded me about a few questions/suggestions
I have been having in mind for a long time.
These are not the major issues, but still...

1. Standard /etc/crontab has an entry which does not always work!
TO be more exact, it does not work once an year, and probably
works twice a day also once an year.
I am talking about :
0       2       *       *       *       root    /etc/daily 2>&1 | sendmail root

Since the time switch from xST to xDT and back happen to be at 2 am,
we have the problem mentioned above.
I always change this time to some other.
IMO, it is better to have nothing in the crontab
to be run between 1 and 3 am.

2. Standard partitioning - when you install FreeBSD on a new box
you have a choice to use some "Standard" partitioning.
(here I use partion=slice - just FreeBSD's partitions/slices)
Working with the systems which sometimes were installed by people
who were not very knowledgable (or, I'd better say who knew less than me)
about partitions and why do you need to have all those separate.

So, by default one would get something like:
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0a       31775    16373    12860    56%    /
/dev/wd0s1f   1008815   325777   602333    35%    /usr
/dev/wd0s1e     29727     1811    25538     7%    /var

I think it is much more logical for the people
who have disk which is big enough (say 1Gb and bigger)
to have separate partition for /home rather than having
/home on /usr
Having /home on a separate partition would allow to mount that
partition with -nosuid option (which is rather logical --
why would one want to have their users to have suid programs in
their home directories)

There are other reasons why one might want to have /home on a separate
partition.

Possible solution ? -
One of them I can see is to make a new option there :
default for a small disk (as it is now),
and default for larger (>= 1G) disk.

Regards!

IgoR