Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2013 23:54:47 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Paul Chakravarti <paul.chakravarti@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OVH KS-2G Random Reboots [FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p6]

Am 29.08.2013 um 23:09 schrieb Paul Chakravarti =
<paul.chakravarti@gmail.com>:

>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> I was wondering if anyone else is having reboot issues running FreeBSD =
9.1 on the OVH KS-2G low-cost dedicated servers (amazingly cheap at =
=A32.49/month - see http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml).=20=

>=20
> I am running FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE-p6 and am getting multiple random =
reboots daily (sometimes hours apart, sometimes minutes).
>=20
> Unfortunately there is no evidence anywhere on the system of the cause =
of these, in particular nothing at all in logs other then the kernel =
coming back up and nothing in /var/crash (I do have dumpdev=3DAUTO in =
rc.conf).=20
>=20
> I am running the standard kernel updated by 'freebsd-update' and have =
removed the OVH RTM stuff. There is no particular load on the system at =
the time.
>=20
> I suspect that it might be a hardware issue however have tried =
extended runs (upto 8 hours) of 'cpuburn' and 'stress' from ports which =
run fine. Strangely there seem to be less reboots under heavy load but =
that may just be perception.

Could it be that under heavy load, the fans spin up and then the whole =
rig is actually cooler?

Sounds weird, I know. But that was the very first thought that crossed =
my mind.

Can't you just rent another one, transfer your data and then cancel the =
contract on the first?

That way, you really get a different rig ;-)