Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:02:11 -0500
From:      "Mike Atkinson" <mikea@kconline.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sendmail - Bounces from local host relays sent From:<>

We are running Sendmail 8.11.1 with FreeBSD 4.2 on 3 MTA's on our system.

After mail arrives into one of our MTA's for an invalid user on another
host, the resulting bounce message to the original sender is generated with
an empty MAIL FROM: value (if it is being sent to a recipient on a host
other then the MTA generating the bounce.)  The headers of the bounce
message appear valid but the maillog of the bounce recipient shows the
following:
---
Jan 22 10:40:04 rim sendmail[21591]: f0MFe4L21591: from=<>, size=2246,
class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<200101221539.f0MFd0A33621@ns.kconline.com>,
proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=ns.kconline.com [216.241.132.3]    *(Note the
from=<> in the log record.)*
---

The actual header in the received bounce looks ok:
---