Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 02:48:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        ken@plutotech.com, mike@smith.net.au, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error logs

 * From: Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>

Ken says (" * > ")
 * > If it gets retried, it gets retried above the CAM layer.  When CAM prints
 * > out an error message, it almost always is after all retries have been
 * > completed.  Read and write commands from the da driver have a retry count
 * > of 4.

So, if I see three lines of the standard read error but not anything
else, can I assume that the kernel retried it and the disk
successfully read the sector(s) the second time around without any
hitch?

 * > The read command is the same, but the block referred to in this error
 * > message is different than the one above.  See the info field.  The read
 * > cdb above is two blocks in length.
 *
 * Correct.  The command failed the first time around, but not the second.
 * Block 0x3cf816 was read successfully the second time, and 0x3cf817 was
 * read after futzing around a bit.

Thanks, didn't know that.

 * I would have expected to see a grown defect for 0x3cf817 somewhere in
 * the grown defect list, however there isn't one before 0x5dd84b.  I
 * don't know where the threshold for reallocating a block is set on this
 * disk (Quantum XP34301).

As for this particular disk, I see the following message at about the
time you sent this out:

Jul 21 17:41:58 bento /kernel: (pass7:ahc1:0:4:0): READ DEFECT DATA(10). CDB: 37 0 0 0 0 0 0 fd e8 0
Jul 21 17:41:58 bento /kernel: (pass7:ahc1:0:4:0): RECOVERED ERROR asc:1c,0
Jul 21 17:41:58 bento /kernel: (pass7:ahc1:0:4:0): Defect list not found sks:80,0

Are you sure that the list itself isn't unreadable?

Satoshi