Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2006 13:00:44 +0200
From:      Jona Joachim <jaj13@web.de>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make "make" ignore build errors

Vasil Dimov wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 07:27:28PM +0200, Jona Joachim wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I wanted to know if it is possible to tell "make" that it should ignore
>> when an error occurs in the building process.
>> I'm the maintainer of the devel/tigcc port which is a collection of
>> tools to build binaries for the Texas Instruments graphing calculators
>> which run on Motorola 68k processors. The main part of this collection
>> is actually a patched gcc built for m68k-coff.
>> Building gcc 4.0.2 (the version supported by the latest tigcc) for 68k
>> will always fail because it will try to build stuff for m68k using the
>> GNU AS which it finds in the path, which will not support the 68k
>> platform in most cases: "as: unrecognized option `-mc68020'"
>> This isn't fatal however because when this point is reached in the
>> Makefile everything that is needed is already built and everything that
>> follows is not needed. I know that this is a dirty hack but there is no
>> other trivial way.
>> Is there a way to ignore this error and resume the build process for the
>> other tools?
>>
> You certainly do not want this! It will ignore not just this error but
> also any other errors that may occur. I would suggest that you patch the
> software's Makefile to skip the unnecessary part of the build.

Hi!
The problem is that the Makefile that causes the problem is only
generated during the make process. I would have to patch the files that
generate this Makefile. The generated Makefile itself is over 4000 lines
long. I will take a look at it.
The original tigcc distribution does ignore the compilation errors. I
can read "echo You should have seen an error. This is normal. TIGCC
installation continues." 3 times in the scripts that compile gcc and 4
times in the scripts that compile GNU AS. I applied patches so that gas
builds just fine and gcc only hangs on one error. If you download the
official gcc-core-4.0.2 from GNU and build it with configure
--target=m68k-coff it hangs in exactly the same place.
I was quite sure you wouldn't accept to just ignore build errors. I
guess I'll just have to try to fix it.

Thanks,
Jona