Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 00:09:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@scds.ziplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X Resolutions

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Justin M. Seger wrote:

> Hi, I have a video card with a cirrus logic clgd5422 chip. It has 1024k RAM.
> Currently, I'm running X at 640x480, 800x600 virtual. I'd like to change this
> to 800x600 actual, but when X starts it doesn't find a modeline that fits with
> my monitor specs. The problem is, my monitor specs are the generic VGA ones, I
> can't find ones in the Monitors file for my monitor. It is an IBM Personal/System 2 Color Display. I don't have a manual for it either. Any thoughts on as to
> how I can get 800x600?

You'll need to get modelines that 1) fall within the spec of your video
card and 2) fall within the spec of your monitor.  If you are **really**
adventurous, and I am NOT responsible for any damage to your display that
may result, but you could tweak the monitor values to make 800x600 fit.

The PS/2 was out before SVGA, so you could have a VGA-only display that
won't do 800x600.  I have one of these from a AST 386sx I got in 1991.