Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 14:37:01 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where to start SMP?

On Tue, 6 May 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > It would help posters like this, now that the merge is done, to have
> > > an "SMP" file in /etc/i386/conf" for an SMP version of "GENERIC".
> >
> > I'm not sure that that is the problem area. I only just started with SMP,
> > and the biggest problem was not figuring out the config (as frankly there
> > really isn't much to do to make it work from a user point of view).
>
> This is not necessarily to help you, specifically.  It's to remove
> the curb for people wanting to beat on the SMP kernel and provide
> feedback information to the SMP coders without requiring a lot of
> hand-holding in trade for the (needed) feedback.

Yup, sorry, following on from the conversation though, in the interests
of helping people just documenting the options better would be a nice
idea. What you say though is a different matter.

> One effect this should have is that an SMP kernel should be built
> for the snap's (whech gets it on the CDROM).  This won't happen
> without an "SMP GENERIC config" of some kind.

A nice option would be a choice of kernel from the install menu.
SMP or UP. (perhaps it can decide for you ?)

> > What was a lot harder was figuring what the options do. The new LINT may have
> > all (or many anyway) possible options in it, but most of them are poorly
> > explained and 50% of them aren't documented other than 2 words.
>
> The SMP options also need to be runtime instead of compile time
> configurable, based on flags values which can be modified at boot
> configuration time.  This would let a single SMP kernel work on all
> hardware, regardless of which options must be twiddled to get it to
> go.  The alternative is multiple "SMP GENERIC" configurations -- not
> a likely event.

Maybe, but surely some of the changes to run an efficient SMP system
should come at kernel compile level. Unless FreeBSD moves to a modular
system on the scale of something like HURD this looks likely to decrease
performance.

> My suggestion was aimed at main-streaming the code so that there would
> be more feedback, while at the same time offloading some of the issues
> requring hand-holding to the standard UP kernel channels.

Hand holding gets a user base, don't knock it. It worked for Windows.

> 					Regards,
> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.
E: steve@visint.co.uk      M: +44 (0) 976 241 342
T: +44 (0) 117 973 0597    F: +44 (0) 117 923 8522