Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:06:01 +1100 (EST)
From:      Jeremy Glick <jglick@tincan.ms.unimelb.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ad0 WRITE timeout during 4.1 install

I have been trying for days to install 4.1-release off a CD and floppies
and keep bumping into the same problem. While running newfs
I keep getting ad0 WRITE timout error message. I'm writing to a ATA-66 HD
with an ATA-66 cable). I tried disabling DMA and setting PIO4 but this
made no difference. Interestingly, the number or WRITE timeouts before a
successful write seemed to increase with each installation attempt (first
1 timeout, then 1 successful write, the next time 2:1, now about 10:1).
If I wait until the newfs command has finished (about 3 hours) the
installation continues as normal, then the system reboots randomly before
the installation is complete. I am totally at a loss (I've noticed similar
problems being discussed in various mailing lists, but most seem to be
fixed by disabling DMA, and 4.1 was supposed to address these issues
anyway).

The HD is an 8.4GB Seagate ATA-66 HD.

Thanks in advance, any suggestions would be most appreciated
Jeremy