Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:04:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        bakul@torrentnet.com (Bakul Shah)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disklabel -- owner?

In reply:
> > Heck, I'd be happy to try to rewrite the whole fdisk/disklabel junk
> > into a nice, easy to use script.  sysinstall is OK, but it isn't as
> > nice as I'd like.  Is there a need for this, or are people generally
> > happy with the tools we have?

[snip]

> - It should be able to make use of a disk database -- not disktab
>   but something that describes the properties of various disks.
>   Sort of like a termcap, MIB or PPD.

there is nothing broke with disktab...  what can you add that disktab
does not already have?  heck most of the fields of disktab are not
properly used to begin with, such important things such as latency
usually go ignored by whoever writes disktab entries; maybe due to
lack of info from the manufacturer...

second, never assume that i want your partition info, i may partition
my disks differently...  such things as m-o disks to zip disks may be
safe assumptions, but on true hard disks, i want seperate /, /tmp,
/var, /home, /usr, and sometimes seperate /usr/local...  and the sizes
i pick for each may indeed be different from the sizes you pick...

> - It should allow *moving* a partition or a slice.

good idea, why not an extend or shrink utility too?

> - You may want to look at some DOS/Windows disk tools for ideas.

well...  unrm?  how about a defragger?

> May be what is needed is a frontend script that calls a number of
> low level tools, each good at one thing.

i buy that...  norton got rich by doing that...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or