Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 20:31:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Anthony.Wyatt@its.csiro.au (Wyatt, Anthony)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH X Forwarding

Wyatt, Anthony wrote,
> Hi Crist,
> 	Before I begin, a small disclaimer: I'm only a new user to freeBSD,
> and I have not yet tried to run up ssh on a freeBSD box.  So any or all of
> this information may or may not be bollox :-)

I agree.

> I would have at a guess the problem lies in one of the following areas:
>
> IP packet filtering
> --------------------
> If your client runs IP packet filtering then it may be throwing away your X
> traffic as it pops out of your ssh tunnel.  This would explain the long
> delay that you are experiencing.  This may also be happening on your sshd
> server; the filtering rules may throw away the traffic before it gets
> stuffed into your ssh tunnel.  Check your IP filtering rules here too!

The specific client that I produced the above error on was using NATd,
but (1) the above error is produced when machines not running NATd
hook into its sshd and (2) the machine that I used as a client above
works perfectly well tunneling X through ssh from other machines (both
FreeBSD and IRIX).

The question I have about the packet issues is that since ssh wraps
all of the X interactions (and encypts it to boot), what good does
that tcpdump do? Should I be looking at what ssh[d] does with the stuff
after it gets it (presumably looking at tcpdumps on the loopback of
the machines?)?

> /etc/sshd_config (server config file)
> -------------------------------------
> You can turn off X11 forwarding in this file (see the man page for sshd for
> all the options).  If you do, and your client tries to use X11 forwarding
> you get the error message: "Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding,
> ...".  As you didn't get this message, I'll assume that the server side is
> OK (I'd still check it though).
>
> This is my sshd_config, please note I only use RSA authentication on my
> hosts, no passwords, you may have to modify this file to suit your own
> needs:
[snip]

I am using the default sshd_config that is installed by the ports. I
believe it is identical to yours but for the syslog facility (which in
my case uses AUTH). I use this default sshd_config on a number of
other machines and they work fine.

> The pc222:10.0 in the error "... display: pc222:10.0" is the
> X11DisplayOffset option given above.  This option is supposed to stop ssh
> from interfering with X.  If it is interfering with X, you'll have to speak
> to someone else, I know next to nothing about X :-)

*shrug* If someone gives me a place to start, I'll look for this
problem. I've delved into the Great Darkness that is the xdm
configuration files/scripts. Nothing in X has frightened me since.

> and/or
> ~/.ssh/config or /etc/ssh_config (client side config file)
> You can do lots here too.  The files are read in the order given above.
> When an option is found it will be set, and ignored if configured again.
> Check BOTH of these files, my configs have all the options commented out.
> If you don't then try commenting out all the options and try again.

Again, the client machines that have the problem opening X on the
sshd-machine do just fine on others. Since there are no entries in the
ssh_config's that are specific to this one machine, I have essentially
ruled out the problem being anywhere but on the sshd-machine.

> If your problem still persists:
> On each of your clients and the server, ssh to itself, then try and run an X
> app.  Check the errors and see if they give you any ideas.

And again, the clients are fine. But the idea of sitting at the
misbehaving sshd-machine, starting X, and then ssh localhost to run an
X app might be worth trying. My guess is, it will fail.

> If you still have problems:
> Build a brand new box, install ssh again, config sshd_config appropriately,
> then try and ssh to this box from itself, and run an X app.  If the same
> error occurs here, try going back to 1.2.26 and try again.

No way I'm nuking the machine's entire system... I'll nuke it's NT
slice maybe. ;) And the error _did_ occur under 1.2.26 too. I
installed 1.2.27 hoping it would fix, but no luck.

> It still really doesn't work:
> Panic, the problem is probably not ssh, and where you would start looking
> then is beyond me... ;-)

Well, I'm pretty sure you are on track when you say it is not sshd. My
guess is something deep and dark in the X setup (even though I get the
error whether X is actually running or not). But you said you weren't
gonna go near X. I do not blame you, but thanks for the response.