Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:33:10 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        George Reid <greid@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jing Liu <excellenceliu@yahoo.com.cn>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to make applications work well after recompiling my own kernel?

* George Reid (greid@FreeBSD.org) [020325 14:22]:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 10:52:17AM +0800, Jing Liu wrote:
>
> > But since then 'top' and 'ps' haven't work any more.
> >     Third, I recompiled the new kernal successfully.
> > But I'd like to know: why 'top' and 'ps' haven't work
> > even after I rebooted the new kernal successfully?
>
> Your kernel is out of sync with the userland tools.

To be more verbose, you have managed to update your source to a version which
is greater than that your current userland binaries were built with. For your
new kernel to work nicely with the system, you will have to make and install
world so your userland facilities are at the same version as the kernel.
Instructions for doing this can be found in the Handbook at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

To be safe, I would suggest you synchronize your source again before building
the world and a new kernel.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)