Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 95 18:53:35 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Shlib complaints ( was Re: benchmark hell..)

> > 	Yes, I think they would be about 10% slower (there is some
> > 	question as to whether the "10%" number was arrive at
> > 	legitimately, or whether the actual number is smaller, and
> > 	the "10%" is an inflated value because the benchmarks didn't
> > 	take into account the average time a program would be running
> > 	(making the dynamic link overhead a significant fraction of
> > 	the resulting benchmark run time -- say 10%).
>
> Whoa.  Did you read what I read?  My question was (in more obvious wording)
>
> "Would linking a program static using a static library made up of PIC
> compiled objects cause run-time penalties"
>
> There are no run-time linking issues involved whatsoever, since we are
> linking the program statically.  Basically, my question boils down to
> the differences between PIC objects and non-PIC objects.

The only numbers I've seen assume a penalty because of dynamic fixup and
another runtime penalty.  The total of the two is (supposedly) 10%.

Like I said, I don't know the relative penalty if statically linked
PIC'ed code.  I *suspect* that there will be some penalty, but I
couln't place a bet as the what it would be except to say 0 < x < 10%.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.