Date:      Thu, 2 May 1996 13:39:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        drbeck@onramp.net (David R. Beck)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD

> I'm trying to decide between Linux and FreeBSD 2.1.  What are the
> differences, advantages/disadvantages of each?  Does one make a better
> Web server than the other.

	I suspect that this group is tired of hearing the "Linux vs. FreeBSD"
	debate (and my answer in particular).

	Here's the summary of my opinion:

		If you want to run a server (ftp, mail, web) and you want
		better security, closer adherence to BSD conventions and
		traditions (especially handy when you want an experienced
		consultant to help with configuration, upgrades or
		troubleshooting) go with FreeBSD.

		If you want to set up a PC as a workstation (primarily
		operated from the console, using things like sound cards,
		scanners, video capture board, and toys) and you want to
		play with the latest and "coolest" games and applications
		use Linux.

		From what I've read, heard, and seen FreeBSD has much more
		stable code (particularly in regards to its TCP/IP code)
		while Linux has an advantage in it's memory management
		which tends to offer better performance running applications
		from the console.

> I tried to pick up a copy of FreeBSD in the Dallas, Tx. area
> today (called, called and drove). No luck! I found Linux everywhere.  I
> know I can order FreeBSD, but that's just the impatient person I am ;>
>
> The main reason I am considering FreeBSD is that I was very disappointed
> with the lack of (or my inability to find) ppp connectivity in the
> Slackware 2.2 with the 1.2.1 kernel.

		Slackware 2.2 is pretty old.  Slackware 3.x, RedHat 3.03,
		Debian .9x are all better choices.

> I didn't see any mention of this in your FAQ...
>
> Any comparison of Linux to FreeBSD would help.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> David Beck
> drbeck@onramp.net

Jim Dennis,