Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:16:40 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Mike Hogsett <hogsett@csl.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Rules

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 11:45:13PM -0700, Mike Hogsett wrote:

> We are, as many of you are also, experiencing an increasing number of
> forged from adresses in email sent to our domains.  Traditionally we have
> allowed external mail to claim to be internal senders for a number of
> reasons.  What I would like to do is only permit hosts within our address
> space to claim to be user@ourdomain(s).com and deny all external hosts
> claiming to be user@ourdomain(s).com (with an appropriate error message).

> How do I do this?  I am not asking for you do to my homework, just point
> me where I can find what I need if you could be so kind.

Start with /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README, and look particularly at
those options to do with the access map '/etc/mail/access'.

Other resources for general sendmail wrangling include
http://www.sendmail.org/faq, the sendmail-questions@sendmail.org
mailing list and the Bat book:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sendmail2/

	Cheers,