Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:18:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why is freebsd distributed like this?

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I understand most of the FreeBSD release system, however i have a problem
> with it that i feel should be addressed.
>
> Why are there releases floating around with security holes in them?
> certain 'fixes' that are trivial but nessesary like the procfs patch
> should be applied all around the source tree as soon as possible.
>
> I understand that that is what the -stable releases are for... but it's
> almost being too much of a purist to let that stuff continue to be in
> freebsd.

  If you are talking about older releases, then you shouldn't be using
older releases.  By deleting older releases, you can't deny they ever
existed.  If you change an older release, it is becomes something
different.  Also, there aren't any "stable releases".  There are
2.1-stable and 2.2-stable branches, which releases have been made from at
certain points in time.

  I don't really see a problem here, but again, I also have an archive of
1.1.5.1 around still.

> |Alfred Perlstein - Programming & SysAdmin --"Have you seen my FreeBSD tatoo?"
> |perlsta@sunyit.edu                        --"who was that masked admin?"
> |http://www.cs.sunyit.edu/~perlsta
> :
> '