Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 18:30:40 +0100
From:      Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP and ISDN TAs.  (Specifically 3COM Impact IQ).

I am intending to buy a 3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA in order to dial up to a
local service provider from our office in Chicago.  I have a couple of
questions with regard to using this with a FreeBSD 2.2.6 box and the
latest version of user ppp.  (Please forgive my ignorance if some of the
questions do not make a whole heap of sense - I must confess to not
really understanding how this all works).

According to the specs,  the 3Com Impact IQ will do PPP,  multilink PPP
and async-sync PPP conversion.  It also does CCP,  CHAP and PAP.

Normally,  as I understand it,  with a modem connection,  these protocols
and the negotiation for these protocols are all provided by user ppp
(unless of course you use pppd).  This,  as I understand it,  provides
PPP framing over the raw serial link,  and uses the other protocols CCP,
CHAP,  IPCP to negotiate compression,  authentication and IP addresses.

Now if the terminal adaptor itself negotiates all of the lower level
protocols,  how does user ppp know not to try and do them itself?  (After
all,  as far as it is concerned,  it is talking to a Hayes compatible AT
modem?).

As I said,  I don't really understand this,  but it would be a big help
if someone could explain a bit about how this works and put my mind to
rest.  Here in the UK,  I am using a MultiTech ISDN TA to connect to
Demon Internet,  but I can only get it to connect in V.120 mode (which
only allows a relatively low data rate (57.6Kbps I think? - I guess that
is actually running PPP over a V.120 link?)

Am I doing anything wrong?  How do I get a true 64Kbps PPP connection
over here,  and will I have any problems with the 3Com Impact IQ in the
States?  (Ideally,  I want to be able to do PPP/MLPPP with compression as
supported by the TA).  Thanks for all your help (and patience).

Cheers,

Jason.