Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 1995 14:40:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > Actually, you *don't* use the same kernel for the floppy, since the
> > floppy kernel contains the MFS image, while the disk kernel doesn't
> > contain it.  It is possible (although improbable) that the disk kernel
> > didn't get rebuilt.
>
> I meant that that I use the same GENERIC base, which contains userconfig.
> It's not an option you can turn off, after all! :-)

Why not?  It's bloating the kernel.  It's a *great* thing to have in
the generic kernel--I really like the visual editing--but it's just
ballast in a custom-built kernel which should have tuned all this
stuff already.

If this sounds just like more bitching, consider what I was doing the
last couple of days: a customer of mine in Munich wanted to get rid of
all his Microsoft crap and move to FreeBSD running on dickless
workstations.  The good news is, I now have a good document on how to
do it.  I set up the stuff, set it up on his machines and told people
to run around and boot the workstations.  They all fell flat on their
face: they only had 4 MB, and for some reason FreeBSD didn't recognize
the last 384K.  The result was that the systems ran out of swap before
they could even boot to access the NFS swap.  On the same machines,
BSD/OS ran without a hitch.  I've forgotten the exact values, but the
boot messages looked something like:

	      BSD/OS	       FreeBSD
real mem =    4194304	       3801088
avail mem =   2800000	       1400000

Sure, it's a good idea to look at shadow RAM and things and turn them
off if possible, but the kernel size is also a big issue too.

Greg