Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:11:58 -0500
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        "Peter Hessler" <yodadoa@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA oddity

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 05:59:44 -0800
"Peter Hessler" <yodadoa@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had a similar situation, where one hd was UDMA 33 and the other was
> UDMA 66.  That would cause crashes for me after about 5 minutes.  As I
> wasn't using the other hard drive, I just unplugged it, and it works
> great.  Before all of this happended, I was using a 40pin 40 connectior
> ide cable, I the cause (or something that allowed it) was replacing the
> 40/40 with a 80 pin 40 connector ide cable.

I forgot to mention that the kernel message regarding a non-compliant cable is in error - the cable in use is an ATA66/100 cable, and verifiably works in other systems.

I've pinned that issue down to an interaction between the Fujitsu and the Quantum controllers.

The main problem here is that while previous FreeBSD versions did the correct thing and ran both drives at UDMA-33, some change in the newer code is getting it wrong.

Any ideas?

Brad

--
// -- http://www.BRAD-X.com/ -- //