Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 20:26:59 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Abdulmohsen Alwuhaib <aalwuhaib@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fbtab file

Abdulmohsen Alwuhaib <aalwuhaib@yahoo.com> types:
> I have a question about the fbtab file
> I checked the man pages and I understand the first two
> fields:
> /dev/<device name>     Permission
> But what is the last field mean?
> it is not clear in the man pages
> if I wanted to add a cdrom or a sound card for
> example:
> /dev/acd0c    555 /?
> /dev/sndstat  ??? /??/??
> can I have an example of how to use it?
> thank you

Your examples are backwards. Here's a cut from mine:

# login on	perm	devices
/dev/ttyv0	0600	/dev/console
/dev/ttyv0	0600	/dev/pass5		# aka /dev/scanner
/dev/ttyv0	0600	/dev/cd0c:/dev/cd1c	# cdrom drives
/dev/ttyv0	0600	/dev/fd0:/dev/fd0c	# and the floppy, of course.
/dev/ttyv0	0600	/dev/da3s1		# The smartmedia reader

Basically, these all do the same thing: if someone logs into
/dev/ttyv0 - the first virtual terminal - it changes the ownership of
the list under devices to them, and makes the mode 0600. That includes
both cdrom drives /dev/cd0c & /dev/cd1c and both the raw floppy and
the partition for mounting unix file systems on it.

This could all be done on one line, but I prefer sorting things out by
function so I can comment the function in question.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.