Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:55:29 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keeping identical copy of second drive

Rowan Crowe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am just about to take delivery of a new 1RU machine which has identical
> 20Gb drives, one of them in a removable caddy. Ideally I want the second
> HD to be a mirror image of the first, either in real time or periodically
> transferred over.

dump should do this just fine... It seems you just want a drive that will
boot, no really true redundancy that RAID offers...

> I've had a look at vinum but that seems to be out, as I need to be able to
> boot from the backup HD immediately - the 2 HD arrangement is mainly to
> minimise downtime in the event of a mechanical HD failure. BTW, can
> FreeBSD boot successfully from the second HD if I disable the first in the
> BIOS and boot -c? I'm not yet familiar with how 4.x works, are the ata
> drives allocated dynamically or can you specify "probe this drive, and
> ignore this drive"?

I think Greg is working on making vinum drives bootable, but I seem to
remember he said it would only work in 5-current because of the devfs
or something it has?!?

How I understand it, is vinum can load up fine before any disk access
needs to be done, but the /dev file system isnt mounted so it cant get
its configuration data...

Anyway in regard to the ata drives, this is a kernel option, you can
choose static drive mappings or let them be dynamically allocated...