Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 21:37:27 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ada@not-enough.bandwidth.org (Ada T Lim)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MS Word documents (was: Advice sought on PnP configuration)

Ada T Lim stands accused of saying:
> > Has anybody investigated what it would take to convert MS Word to a
> > portable format?  So much stuff is sent in it nowadays, even by people
> > who should know better.  Is it that difficult?  If somebody can point
> > me to some format documentation, I'm prepared to have a hack at it.
>
> If you _really_ need to read word files, StarOffice (in the ports collection)
> will do in a pinch.

Unfortunately (and to my significant disappointment) this is not the
case.  All of the Microsoft-sourced Word documents I have met cannot
be opened by StarOffice.  Oddly, those from many other vendors
(eg. Compaq, Intel, etc.) can.

> I think there's something out there that converts word to rtf, and I know
> there's rtf->html

Word itself will save in RTF format, but true to their traditions
Microsoft's RTF output is sufficiently mutant that I haven't found
anything (yet) that will swallow it reliably.

Note that neither of these problems tend to show up with short
documents, but in the case of these specifications we're usually
talking > 50 pages.

To answer Grog's question; there was a discussion of this very issue a
while back here, and the upshot was that the one individual that had
come close to deciphering the Word document format was sat on by
Microsoft's lawyers.  There is apparently some documentation somewhere
(ref Terry, IIRC) which might allow you to read Word documents, but at
the cost of your mortal soul.