Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 19:46:38 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, imp@village.org, platforms@FreeBSD.org, dyson@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/MIPS anybody

John S. Dyson stands accused of saying:

> > What strikes me as the biggest real problem is the highly
> > x86-optimised VM, and along with that perhaps the blurring of MI/MD
> > code in the FreeBSD kernel.
> >
> The FreeBSD VM code uses the SAME assumptions as the original
> Lite & Lite/2 code except we have removed some broken-ness like
> pagemove :-).  I hope that those concerns about machine dependence
> are not due to disinformation from others.  There might
> have to be some mods and enhancements to do a port to a given
> architecture, but the end result will be vastly superior to the
> original Lite & Lite/2 code that others are currently using.

I'm not sure whether it's disinformation, or just lack of more
accurate information 8) Still, you'd have to admit that the pmap
module is big and dark and scary to your average hacker 8(

> When working on the VM code, one has to understand it...  Otherwise

This is an understatement of the first order 8) and the problem that I
was trying to get at; there's a significant body of
processor-dependant code tied to the VM required for any port, and for
FreeBSD, this code is sufficiently different I couldn't, for example,
take a pmap/locore from an old BSD port to the Sony NEWS and use it
(even modulo hardware changes) on my Mipsco boxes for FreeBSD.

Of course, if I'm wrong and it's actually totally trivial, then I'll
just go sit in the corner and cry 8)  Any chance of a pmap(9) manpage
detailing its features and requirements? 8)