Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:16:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        crandall@matchlogic.com (Charles Randall), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, toasty@dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Subject:   Re: Replace/rewrite reverse.c for tail(1)

:Because of licensing restrictions in our product, we are unable to ship with
:any GNU/GPL'ed tools, so I'm forced to fix 'tail' rather than use tac. (I
:saw tac, and agree that it is faster for this specific use)
:
:Any VM people wanna pipe up and make a suggestion so that I may make up a
:patch?
:
:Kevin

    I don't think madvise()ing it MADV_DONTNEED will work right now.  The
    madvise() calls only work with OBJT_DEFAULT and OBJT_SWAP objects -- i.e.
    swap-backed memory.  They will not do anything to pages owned by
    file mmaps.

    We could fix vm/vm_object.c/vm_object_madvise() to handle
    MADV_DONTNEED for other objects.  It would not be too difficult to
    do, actually, since we would be doing nothing more then moving the
    (must be clean) page to VM cache to get it to be reused more quickly.
    This is a fix I could make to CURRENT without too much trouble.

					-Matt