Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:58:49 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can FreeBSD do MS-style VPN?

I have access to an office NT server via the Microsoft Virtual Private
Networking Adapter, but since I run FreeBSD at home, I thought it would
be cool to attach to the office server with FreeBSD instead of
Windows.  Is there anything in FreeBSD (or the ports) which can attach
to the server that way, preferably including password and data
encryption support?  Also, can Samba or anything else perform as a
server for such connections (I don't need that now, but it would be
nice to know if it's possible)?

If FreeBSD can't connect to the NT server as a VPN client, I'll be
trying to figure out how to route packets from my FreeBSD box (which
is my Internet firewall/gateway and through which the VPN packets
travel anyway) through my Windows box into the VPN pipe.  At this
point, I can, say, telnet from my Windows box to the office printer,
but my FreeBSD box can't.  It seems silly for FreeBSD to have to send
things through my Windows box only to have them sent back through
FreeBSD in another format to get out the door though. :-)

Thanks much in advance...

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com