Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 12:39:36 +0100
From:      Stefano Riva <sriva@alice.it>
To:        Phil <ReachMe@Syne-Post.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.mydomain.com/filelist.html ???

At 14.28 15/03/99 -0500, you wrote:
>The box is up and running fine, I am telnet ed in right now.
>ping works just fine, Apache is happy aswell.

  Check if you see other hosts from that box. Ping another host from there,
both with the IP address and the full name.

>1999.Mar.15 14:24:00 ~ >ftp localhost
>ftp: localhost: Resolver internal error
>So what does that mean?? (other than it isn't working)

  It seems to me a misconfiguration of the naming system. Have you
configured /etc/resolv.conf with your real domain and one or more working
name servers? What about /etc/hosts? What about /etc/rc.conf[.local]?
Examples:

/etc/resolv.conf

domain		mydomain.com
nameserver	123.123.123.123
nameserver	123.123.123.124

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1	localhost.mydomain.com localhost
192.168.0.1	myhost.mydomain.com myhost
192.168.0.1	myhost.mydomain.com.

/etc/rc.conf[.local]

(...)
hostname="myhost.mydomain.com"
(...)

>To note other than ftp being turned on under inetd I have done nothing to

  ftpd is turned on by default on FreeBSD systems. You shouldn't do nothing
in /etc/inetd.conf to enable it.

>Is there a short manual somewhere on "Setting Up FTP Server on FreeBSD"

  The standard server is simple. The "advanced" options are in the
corresponding man page. If you plan to set up a large, serious FTP server,
maybe you should consider running an advanced server, such as WuFTP. You
can find it in the ports, with pointers to more info.

---

  Stefano Riva
  Software Engineer - Systems Administrator
  Informazioni Editoriali I.E. Srl
  Phone +39-027528400, Fax +39-027528451
  Email sriva@alice.it